Monday's Child #34 - "The Picnic"


The Picnic

He will try not to slurp,
Hopefully will not burp.

No china will he fling,
Nor pull an apron string.

A picnic will be the test.
Are we ready for a guest?

Fragile teacup and tart,
Selected from the cart.

Just one will be enough,
'til he spys a cream puff.

Best behavior wins out.
I am left with no doubt.

Guests, we are ready to receive.
I feel a tug upon my sleeve.

Oh, look he has spilled.
My hopes are dashed and killed.

At least he does say "Pardon me".
I will forgive my Chimpanzee.

© Margaret Bednar

This is my first attempt at writing a children's verse.  It was a lot of fun.  

Comments

jabblog said…
It's always a risk having animals to tea;-)
signed...bkm said…
Reminds of Pygmalion....try to make a gentleman out of this earthly creature...delightful...bkm
Maude Lynn said…
This is really cute!
Crystal said…
very cute cute verse! And the illustration is just perfect! :-)
Jannie Funster said…
How wonderfully cute! Is there any art form you do not excel at?? :)

xoxo
Sherry said…
adorable....I enjoyed the read....xo
Unknown said…
Very nice verse. Well done. Amazing that it is your first try. I am also new to Monday's Child.
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's Monday's Child #34
Anonymous said…
Oh I am sure the guests will love this adorable chimp.
A cute and very sophisticated guest :)
Margaret said…
Thank you. It is a late thank you, I know. This was quite a challenge for me - it is much harder than it looks. I attempted the following weeks but it was awful. I will keep trying and I will pop over to your blogs to see if you are attempting these as well!