Friday Flash 55 - "Club Thirteen"

Photo courtesy of Google Image


The Friday Flash 55 (a story in 55 words or less) is hosted by the "G-Man" aka "Mr. KnowItAll".  This week, mine is a bit off-color, so if you are easily offended, please don't read.  I wish I could say this was fiction!

* * * * *
Time: 1987ish
Place: "Club Thirteen"
Event: Grand Opening, "Invitation Only".  Open Bar, Hors’duerves
Problem: Cocktail waitresses quit
Solution: Last minute replacement: two “bus girls”
Outcome: I couldn’t pronounce the drink names, had no clue what condiments graced the drinks and approached an elderly couple and asked the gentleman if he would like another “bloody virgin”.
* * * * *

To this day I feel the horror of that night... tottering around on my high heels (that was the dress code, can you believe it), trying to balance at least three drinks on my serving tray at a time, and figuring out whether to use a carrot or celery, olive or shrimp for a drink's condiment (...the bartender was too busy) - let's just say, I just threw whatever on the rim.  After two hours and upon nearly giving the elderly couple joint heart attacks, I bolted with 75 cents worth of tips in my pocket... 
Me and cocktail waitressing... some things just aren't meant to be!


Photo courtesy of Google Image

Comments

Brian Miller said…
hahhaa....this is awesome...oh my....thanks for the chuckle tonight...smiles.
Jannie Funster said…
A bloody virgin! Ahhh, lol.

I never did get to be a bartender, off the bus or professionally trained, but I am familiar with imbibing a cocktail or two. :)

Your blog is always such a lift my dear, thanks!

xoxo
G-Man said…
75 CENTS?????
I leave a buck for Ice Water!!
See?...Kismet!!
Loved your Bloody 55 Margaret!
Great pics BTW
Thanks for playing, and have a Kick Ass Week-End.
Pheromone Girl said…
That's what I was doing in 1987, too - only in a slightly "lower-brow" joint, where I got much better tips. They didn't care if I tottered on my heels. Loved this!
Belinda Munoz said…
That's such a great story!

I went to bartending school once summer after quitting a cush job and worked in a bar for one night. I could probably write a couple of 55s from that nite.
izzy said…
tottering around in spike heels-I did better at that as a kid!
thanks for playing!
Crystal said…
bahahahahhahahaha. very funny and you survived! :-)
Steve Isaak said…
Love the structuring of this - inspirational, that, may have to utilize that in the future.

Could relate to the experience, in a differentiated way: have had a few jobs like that. Made for lousy nights, but good writing!
Maude Lynn said…
Bloody virgin cracked me up!

I always thought that I would make a lousy waitress of any kind.
Missing microfiction?

I'm hosting a new microfiction meme.
Succinctly Yours
begins on Monday, March 28th. Check out the link for the photo and optional word.
Hope you'll join in.
Margaret said…
Thank you for enjoying my 55. I hadn't thought of this "disaster" or quite a while until a few weekds ago when we were enjoying a few "cocktails" at a restaraunt! We had very nice service, by the way...
Lisa Gordon said…
Although I'm sure it was not funny at the time, this is just too funny Margaret!
Thank you for the wonderful smiles I got from reading this :-)
Diane said…
Howdy!

Starting a new feature at my blog called The MicroFiction Muse! Please pop in and take a look and hope to see you next week! :O)

http://dianeestrella.com/?p=5099
Dutchbaby said…
I love this 55, Margaret. It's a great story that reveals your humor, spontaneity, and willingness to work hard. You were grace under pressure and I can't believe you only got 75 cents in tips.