Friday Flash 55, "A Kiss"


A Kiss

Your puckered lips
obligingly touch a tart
lemon-like kiss to mine.
I run my tongue
over the sourness
while symbolism
stabs my heart.
Such bitterness now,
love unsweetened.
Succulent strawberry kisses
now replaced with
acerbic, harsh utterances.
Our once ripe romance
now rancid, tainted.
Slowly I close the door
behind you and whisper,
"Goodbye".


by Margaret Bednar (Art Happens -3/3/2011)

* * * * *

This is for Tess Kincaid's "Magpie Tales".  I'm going to also submit this to "The March Challenge". On this day in 1847, inventor Alexander Graham Bell was born and the challenge word for today is "communication".  I have reflected upon what can be said (and revealed) with a kiss.   This is also for "Friday Flash 55" - tell a story in 55 words or less. This was originally posted to my photography/poetry blog, but I copied it to here for those who follow only this blog.

Comments

"Succulent strawberry kisses" -- terrific alliteration and imagery. Wonderful!
Margaret said…
Lisa! I have this posted over on my poetry blog and it has generated a lot of comments - but you are the first person to mention my favorite line. :)
The Blog of Bee said…
Oh gosh you have captured what happens to so many people, perfectly.
Vivid imagery. I wish you luck in your submission, Roland
Crystal said…
Wonderful! What a perfect descriptive passage. :-)
Unknown said…
Your take on this prompt was ultimately so sad. As a mom of 6, I think you'll relate to this one:
http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/03/02/ideal-afternoon
Margaret said…
Thank you!

Roland - when I said submission, I just meant entering the challenge.